Running Break

Life is unpredictable and unforeseen obstacles can appear out of thin air to put a damper on the best plans. I returned home to Canada for the summer with great expectations of improving my 10K time, getting lots of exercise, working in the garden, and completing several unfinished projects. The biggest roadblock was time – just not enough to do all the things on my “to-do” list.

My plan to do two 10Ks over the summer break did not happen due to a couple of unexpected events due to carelessness on my part. First, while cleaning the garage walls, I stepped up on a steel cabinet with small wheels on the bottom. The tiny, cheap wheels were not made to support a heavy load. They broke and I took a nasty tumble to the cement floor, bruising my arm and shoulder, resulting in a week of no training.

It should be easy to remove this.

Then, on August the fourth, the day before the New Brunswick Day 10K Race, I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and tear off the ugly platform that was on the side of the house and replace it with a small, neat step with a railing.

The job is almost done.

This seemed like an easy job that could be done in a day or two. It may be possible for a strong, skilled carpenter to remove this in a day but it proved a challenge for me. It was a much bigger job than anticipated and in a rush to get it done I dropped a 14 foot 6×2 plank with a spike that slashed open my lower leg, just missing my foot, as it slammed to the ground.

Nothing serious!

Nothing serious!

It didn’t really hurt or bleed a lot so it seemed like just a minor scratch. (I was even able to take a photograph.) I stopped working and called for Florian who helped me put a bandage on the wound. Then, I went to bed, optimistic that by morning, it would be fine and I would be able to take part in the New Brunswick Day race.

When I woke up my bandage was soaked with blood and my leg ached as I hobbled to the kitchen for breakfast. I could barely walk. I was disappointed that I could not participate in the race but hopeful that it was just a minor setback and that I would be able to enter a different event in a week or two.

Thanks Florian.

Thanks Florian.

A few days later, Florian finished removing the platform and helped me complete the job. Although my leg was sore I could walk and do some small jobs as long as I didn’t put too much pressure on it. It was also painfully clear that I would not be running in any summer races.

After seven weeks of limited movement the wound is healed and I have an unsightly scar as a reminder of my mishap. (I hope it fades over time.) The break from running has been tough but I am determined to rebuild slowly. I will start by walking, building up to three miles, and then move on to light jogging, working up to a mile,  before I start running again in a few weeks.


5 responses to “Running Break

  1. Oh man. Sorry to hear. The new porch looks great though.

  2. Bummer! Good luck on your recovery.

  3. Sorry about your mishaps! I hope you’ll recover soon. It’s good to take it slow to get back into shape. When do you return to Oman?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s